Saturday 2 June 2012

20th Week: Smack In The MIDDLE!


:-•:*"*:•.-:¦:-•* Greetings *•-:¦:-•:*'''*:•-:


As the title states, I hit my halfway milestone this week (considering pregnancy is averagely forty weeks long) and it’s feels odd, because a party of me is like “Yipee, I only have another twenty weeks to go” and the another part of me is like “twenty more bloody weeks to go!” I’m hoping other people feel like this too!

Anyway, this week has flown by so quickly. I feel like I wrote my 19 Week update yesterday (click here to read it)! The week itself has been very relaxing and enjoyable. I’m not a big fan of summer because I and heat aren’t best friends; however I have been enjoying the sun’s lovely warmth the last couple of days. I have had a couple of appointments week: one for the midwife, one for the perinatal psychiatrist (if you don’t know what they do click HERE) and for the little scan room down in the Hospital (if you want to know more about my scan click HERE)! (me trying to imitate Bah Bah Black Sheep!)




All the appointments went fine. My little bubs is doing great, moving around with its tiny legs and arms.

It’s what happened after my scan that changed my week.  Let me explain:

I went to visit family members that have recently had a baby (about three weeks ago) and the baby has been diagnosed with Down's syndrome. This is the first time I've been so close emotionally as well as relationship wise to a person that has Down's syndrome or is a parent to child that is suffering from it. I didn't know what to say, how to provide comfort or even if comfort is what they need. As the visit went on things just fell into its place and it became easier to talk about the issue and I realised that acknowledgment is what I need to provide first. As the evening came to an end I had come to believe one of the parent's has accepted the issue as a part of fate and the other is still looking for answers to why it happened and for something to blame. I understand and sympathies with both parents but the whole scenario left me with a whole load of questions at the end of the night which I am still pondering about. Here are a few of those questions:

  • How often does Down’s syndrome effect the parent’s perception of the child?


  • What can be expected from the parent’s behaviour?


  • Should a child suffering from Down’s syndrome be treated differently from other children in terms of motivation and expectations?


  • Lastly, How would I react if I were to be the parent of a child who suffers from Down’s syndrome?


I’m leaving with these questions, so have a think about them whether they relate to you or not and tell me what you think or have felt due to your own experience!

:-•:*"*:•.-:¦:-•* Ta-ra *•-:¦:-•:*'''*:•-:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...